How do I apply?
MAT applications are accepted year-round for all MAT program concentrations. Cohorts begin annually in August and January. Application documentation, including official transcripts and test reports, must be received by August 1 to be admitted for a Fall cohort; or December 1 to be considered for a Spring cohort.
All coursework in the MAT professional core is 100% online. Most concentration option coursework is also 100% online or offered in hybrid format to limit evening coursework. At most, MAT students in secondary and P-12 concentrations may have up to three courses that are not 100% online. All coursework for elementary and IECE are 100% online. Candidates are required to complete clinical hours at an assigned public school during school hours.
Candidates seeking admission to an initial licensure MAT program must complete the following:
- Submit an online application to the Graduate School indicating a bachelor’s degree including all official transcripts from accredited colleges attended except Eastern Kentucky University.
- Per EPSB regulations, provide evidence of the following prior to being accepted into the program: A bachelor’s or master’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale OR a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed, including undergraduate and graduate coursework. (EPSB regulation 16 KAR 5:020 requires a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed, including undergraduate and graduate coursework).
- Undergraduate Major (or equivalent) in the field in which certification is being sought (only for secondary candidates; others are reviewed for appropriate course content).
- Passing PRAXIS Subject Assessment scores in the desired certification area with the exception of music. Some secondary and P-12 certification areas require TWO content exams. Middle School certification applicants must pass the required Praxis II subject assessment upon admission. IECE, DHH and Elementary do not require the Praxis II content exam for admission.
BE SURE to request that your Praxis Subject Assessment scores be sent to EKU -CODE 1200
Upload your documents to the appropriate portal located on your Graduate School application.
1. A professional resume
2. An autobiography documenting relevant life/work/educational experience
3. Three letters of reference
4. Complete two written assignments, given by the department, that assess critical thinking, creativity, communication and collaboration
- Essay 1 and 2 should be uploaded as one document to the Writing Sample portal on the application.
ESSAY #1 In an essay (3-4 pages each) describe a situation (professional, educational or other) in which you exhibited the following qualities: Critical Thinking, Creativity, Communication, Collaboration
ESSAY #2 – In an essay (3-4 pages), describe how you will practice critical thinking, creativity, positive communication and collaboration in your future teaching career.
5. Verified Credentials Background check – Instructions on this webpage – Verified Credentials
6. Child Abuse or Neglect (CA/N) Check
7. Complete an interview with the Master of Arts in Teaching admission committee
8. Candidates must complete and sign a Candidate Statement of Commitment Regarding Dispositions form.
9. Candidates must complete and sign a “Character and Fitness Declaration” form. This process includes a review of the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel established in 16 KAR1:020.
- NOTE: Based upon applicant disclosure, an interview by the Professional Education Admission Committee may be required.
Ms. Karen Dickens, Alternative Certification Specialist
Bert Combs 425
521 Lancaster Avenue
Richmond, KY 40475
For advising questions, please contact:
Dr. Julie Rutland, MAT Program Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-622-1043
In addition, candidates seeking Option 6 Alternative Route:
- Successfully complete the Praxis Subject Assessment for the content area of MAT concentration major. See ets.org for test code list for Kentucky and pass scores. (middle grades and secondary/5-12/P-12). See https://www.ets.org/praxis/ky/requirements/ for test code list for Kentucky and pass scores.
- In addition to meeting the above admission criteria, Option 6 candidates must provide a letter from their school district indicating that they have been hired or will be hired pending processing of the TC-TP. A mentoring plan will be developed once the candidate has been admitted and is in receipt of an employment letter. Mentoring plan requires 10 hours of direct observation from a University Mentor and participation from the candidate’s district through a district assigned mentor who will complete 5 hours of direct observation and support. Mentoring Plan is verified by candidate, University Mentor and District Mentor.