Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

If I am accepted to EKU's Graduate School, am I automatically accepted in the M.A.T. program?

No. An applicant must complete both the Graduate School application requirements and the requirements listed on this website to be considered for admission to the M.A.T program.

What is the PRAXIS II exam and why do I have to take it?

The PRAXIS Subject Assessments are national standardized tests for teacher certification. Passing scores on the PRAXIS Subject Assessments are required by the state of Kentucky to become a certified teacher. Please refer to specific PRAXIS requirements listed under the middle and secondary M.A.T. application requirements.

Applicants ONLY take the Praxis Subject Assessments for admission to middle grades and some seconeary/5-12/P-12 certification areas. Some content areas have one exam, others have two exams. Be sure to check this website for specific requirements -  Applicants DO NOT need to take the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam (PLT) for admission. This exam will be taken at the END of the MAT program in order to earn teacher certification.

When are the M.A.T. courses offered?

MAT professional core courses are offered 100% online.  Courses in the content areas are also available online for elementary, IECE, and middle grades options.  Some secondary and P-12 options require hybrid attendance at the Richmond campus.

As this is a teacher licensure program, clinical preparation is required.  EKU's College of Education & Applied Human Sciences contracts with districts throughout Kentucky to arrange clinical placements and mentorship plans.  You can anticipate spending a minimum of 200 hours in assigned classrooms prior to the student teaching semester.  Student teaching for a full 16-week semester is required to graduate.

Can I teach while I am a student in the M.A.T. program?

After clear admission to the program, candidates can work as temporary provisionally certified teachers (Rank III) for up to 3 years while they are enrolled in the MAT program.  Contact Dr. Julie Rutland by email or phone 859-622-1043 for more information about the Option 6 program.

Can I work at a job other than teaching in the M.A.T program?

The MAT program is a demanding graduate program, but candidates have been able to fit their work schedules around their clinical placements and coursework. 

All candidates also must complete the student teaching practicum. During this semester-long practicum, the MAT candidate is a "student teacher" and must report to their assigned public school during the regular school hours Monday through Friday for an entire semester. Read more about student teaching here  Special arrangements are made for MAT candidates that are teaching full-time with temporary provisional certification so that they can meet the MAT program requirements in their own classroom setting.

What are the tuition costs at Eastern Kentucky University?

2022-23 Graduate Tuition

What financial aid is available for M.A.T. candidates?

At this time, there are no scholarships specifically for MAT candidates. But EKU's Financial Aid office can provide guidance in applying for general scholarships and financial aid. Graduate assistantships are also available; application information is available from the Graduate School. Additional scholarships may be available through the College of Education.  Go to this website -

Is there a research component in the M.A.T. program?

Yes.   MAT candidates must complete an Action Research project during their program of study. Candidates will write a proposal for this project in EGC 820, refine their proposal prior to their practicum and conduct research during their practicum. In the capstone seminar (ETL 806), the MAT candidate will write their final research report and present their findings to a graduate committee.

What if I already hold a master's and/or Doctorate degree in my content area? Can I get teaching certification without getting an additional master's degree?

The MAT admission committee will review your prior educational background and work history and may be able to recommend a certification-only program. Please contact for more details.

After I earn teacher certification through the MAT program, can I teach in a state other than Kentucky?

Yes, Kentucky teacher certification can be transferred to other states through reciprocity agreements with state teacher certification agencies. Requirements vary from state to state. Check the specific requirements of the state to which you may want to move.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/